Wednesday 14 September 2011

BBC News - UK party leaders back global gay rights campaign

The United Nations says gay men in India are denied HIV care because of discriminatory laws

 "David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband have given their backing to a new organisation which aims to promote gay rights around the world.

Kaleidoscope will campaign against homophobic prejudice and violence, particularly in Africa and the Middle East, where punishments for homosexuality can be severe.

The prime minister said such treatment was "simply appalling".

Commons Speaker John Bercow will host a reception to launch the campaign.

'Global beacon'


At present, homosexuality is illegal in 76 countries, including 38 within the Commonwealth. At least five countries - the Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Mauritania and Sudan - have used the death penalty against gay people.

One of Kaleidoscope's founders, Bisi Alimi, said: "I was the first person from Nigeria to openly declare my sexuality on national television. As a result I was attacked, tied up and beaten in my own home in Lagos. I was forced to leave my country.

-more at BBC News 

"

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment